Kottayam Public Library was founded in 1882 by T Rama RaoDewanPeshkar (Collector) of Northern Division of Travancore State.
Immediately after his appointment in 1880, he shifted his Headquarters from Shertallay to Kottayam. Besides being the founder of Modern Kottayam and providing all amenities needed for a District Headquarters, he founded Kottayam Public Library in the very centre of the Town and became its first President and continued till 1887 when he was elevated as Dewan of Travancore. Rama Rao had named it “Reading Room” in the style of the the Reading Rooms of those days in England.
The Library is now completing 137 years of its glorious service to the public. Growing from a “Reading Room” functioning in a small 2 Room space in 7 cents of land with 35 members and 674 Books it saw a stupendous growth through 3 centuries. Now it is the foremost Library in the state with over 4000 Members, 1,50,000 Books and a book storage space of 14,500 sq ft. in ground floor of a 3 storied building of it own. Also we have recently opened a 2500 sq ft. area exclusively for a Reference Section providing proper