What is YouTube Shorts?
YouTube Shorts is a short-form video service provides by YouTube that helps user to create and upload a video of 60 seconds (previously it was 15 seconds) or less on YouTube. YouTube Shorts is a way for anyone to connect with a new audience with just a smartphone and the Shorts camera in the YouTube app. Currently, YouTube’s short-form video creation tools are available in India and the U.S. But creators outside of India and the U.S. can still get started creating Shorts. Upload a vertical video up to 60 seconds and include #Shorts in the title or description of your video to help our system recommend your Shorts across YouTube.
The creative features in this tool are:
- Music & sound: Add a song or use other audio to create your own Short.
- Text: Add text after recording a Short and use Timeline to control when it appears and disappears.
- Speed: Choose to accelerate or slow down recording.
- Timer: Set the countdown to record hands-free and choose when to automatically stop recording.
Is YouTube Shorts available for all devices?
YouTube Shorts is currently available in early beta for Android devices. It will soon be available for iOS devices. Therefore, the short-form video service is available as part of YouTube app for Android devices, including smartphones and tablets. It is currently not available for PCs, notebook and Apple iPhone and iPad users. Important to note, the service is mobile-first and it may not be available for PCs and notebooks user.
How to create a YouTube Shorts video?
The following steps need to create a short video on YouTube:
- Sign in to YouTube on mobile.
- Tap create “+” and then tap Create a Short beta.
- To make your Short longer than 15 seconds, tap 15s above the record button to record up to 60 seconds (60s). Note: if you using YouTube music library for your recording then the limit is up to 15 seconds.
- To record a clip, hold the capture button or tap it to start recording and then again to stop.
- Tap undo to remove the previous video clip you recorded or tap redo to add it back.
- Tap done to preview and enhance your video. Tap NEXT to add details to your video.
- Add a title (max 100 characters) to your short video.
- Tap UPLOAD to finish.
How to create YouTube Shorts if you do not have access to the Shorts camera
If you do not have access to the Shorts camera yet, you can still upload your existing vertical videos that are less than 60 seconds using the hashtag #Shorts in the title or description. YouTube will be testing out a section on the YouTube homepage to highlight videos created from the Shorts camera, as well as any vertical video up to 60 seconds that have been uploaded to YouTube. Therefore, you can start right away creating Shorts even if you do not have the service enabled on your device.